Empowering Every Woman to be Beautiful

Rainy Day Wish List




I'm sitting near a window watching the rain descend in sheets outside. The brisk air (experienced for just a second earlier this morning) feels more like late October than early September.

What's a girl to do on a dreary day like this, but stay in and scour the Internet for beauty products? As most of you already know, I like to make some of my skin care and hair products (like my herbal hair tonics and lavender/rose/aloe vera facial mists), but once in a while I'll find a company that makes the same type of product completely organic (just like mine) and already in a pretty little bottle.

That's super convenient for travel (and lazy spells).

Thus far, I've found several products that I'd L-O-V-E to add to my collection. I'll share them with you. If you know of other natural brands with great products, please share them with me.

Benedetta
I heard about this brand from Martha, who follows this blog and gives me great feedback and product recommendations. She said she's been using Benedetta for years and its done wonders for her skin. I decided to check out the website. They had a lot of products that piqued my interest, but their 100% botanical Sacred Soap made my wish list.

This body wash has Black Soap, an ancient soap known by the indigenous people of Africa, as its main ingredient. Sacred Soap also contains pure virgin Palm Kernel Oil, unrefined Shea Butter (great for my dry skin) and Ash, a natural source of lye. Organic Rosemary and Lemongrass is used for scent. That sounds yummy.

Besides the obvious cleansing and moisturizing benefits of this soap, I also like that it's made by a women's co-operative following organic standards and fair trade guidelines. I'm going to have to drop some hints about this one before Christmas.

Anita Grant
Okay, I have to admit that I wanted almost EVERYTHING on this site. But before I get into their products, let me just give a shout out to a company who's not just boasting "green" but living it: From using only fairly traded botanicals to relying solely on 100% renewal energy to run their business. They only use packaging that is 100% recyclable and/or compostable. I feel a tear coming on. I hope they open a US store soon (they in the UK).

Anyway, back to my wish list. I struggled with choosing just one thing to list here, but if I was forced to choose JUST ONE, it would be their Camellia Kissi Oil.

This wonder product is a clear, light, non greasy anti-oxidant used for centuries by the Japanese to improve the overall texture of nails, scalp and combination skin. Camellia Kissi oil is cold pressed from the seeds of the Camellia Kissi plant, using traditional Japanese methods of extraction. It's easily absorbed, has no detectable odour. (This info is straight from their website).

Camellia Kissi Oil is a rich source of plant collagen that helps lessen scars and works wonders on stretch marks. Camellia Kissi contains Vitamins A, B, C, E and Polyphenol, natural antioxidants that safeguards skin from the damaging effects of UV/environmental exposure and free radicals.

It's said to visibly diminish fine lines, acne scarring & reduce the appearance of pores. And as a bonus, it's wonderful as a natural, non-greasy shine enhancer/moisturizer on curly and tightly coiled hair. Camellia Kissi oil is the most penetrative of all natural oils. So, let's break this down. This miracle oil can be used around the eyes, all over the face, on the body and in the hair. Sweet. I want it. I love products that work head to toe. How much does shipping from the UK cost?

Oyin Handmade
I've been hearing so much about this hand-crafted, natural brand on Twitter and from my fellow naturally curly-haired friends for some time now. I think I need to break down and buy something. I've heard that their organic and natural products are made in small batches to ensure freshness. They use unrefined shea butter, pure cocoa butter, vitamin E, organic aloe vera juice, and herbal infusions, but no petroleum, SLS or silicones. Good job.

I've pegged several products I'd like to try, but the one that really speaks to me is their Juices and Berries Nourising Herbal Leave-in. It's simply spring water, infused with a variety of herbs known to "help stimulate the scalp and encourage hair growth; vegetable ingredients for detangling, moisture and suppleness; vegetable glycerine for humectancy and shine; and an essential oil blend nutritious to the scalp."



I make something very similar at home by infusing distilled water with dried burdock root, coltsfoot, horsetail and nettle. I use it as a final rinse after washing my hair, or as a spritzer for moisture and shine between washes. But, sometimes I don't feel like the effort. This product would be the perfect substitute. And unlike my version, this one is naturally preserved with grapefruit seed extract and citric acid. I don't have to use it within two days or pour it down the sink.

Aveda
Okay, this product I chose from Aveda isn't exotic or new, but I'd still like to try it. Their Pure ComfortTM Eye Makeup Remover sounds like the perfect natural alternative to drug store versions.

And this one includes organic camomile and cucumber - both are great for soothing the skin and reducing puffiness. And it's safe for contact wearers.








Kiehl's
Kiehl’s has a new skin care collection I'm simply dying to try. Their Acai Damage-Repairing Skincare collection. As is obvious from the name, the entire line is based on 100% Organic Açaí Berry, the much talked-about Super-Antioxidant.



Kiele's promises, "This collection helps skin repair the visible effects of both physical and environmental damage, while it also helps to stimulate skin’s natural renewal process and restores skin’s tone, texture, and elasticity.." Sounds good to me.

The collection consists of: Damaging minimizing cleanser, Damage protecting toning mist, Damage correcting moisturizer and Damage repairing serum. I want them all.

Have you tried any of the products I have listed here? Can you give feedback? Would love to hear from you.